[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tacking

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rockannand@xxxxxxx, utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:55:01 EST

It wasn't a stupid thing you did friend, I would have done the same.   I'm
sorry for your experience:(

When I decided to have my 9 year old neutered & tacked at the same  time, (he
hadn't bloated) I had quite the opposite experience.  We did  blood work and
an EKG prior and the day of his surgery, we arrived at 8:30 and  were on our
way home shortly after noon.  He was higher than a kite I might  add (!!!) and
in no pain.  I do think his throat may have hurt the  following day a lil' bit
from the anestia tube, since he didn't want the  ice cream I'd bought for
him, but he really did enjoy the buttered toast w/  peach jam (no kidding!!!).

I came away thinking, for the oldsters, if they need to be under for
anything else, (a bitch when spayed, if I neuter a male), it's something I'll
do.  I
did BTW choose the laporoscopic procedure.  I'm sure it's very  different
when a dog is having an emergency than when surgery is planned.

My guy's mother passed at 13, maybe even 14.  They knew she had a mass  on
her spleen, but she was happy and eating etc., but I remember hearing HER
owner
describing the last ride to the vet, the distress and thinking perhaps she
was bloating on the way. I'm not exactly sure what role age and loss of  muscle
tone has to do with the whole thing, or as a dog ages, other things that
seem to creep up on them might not trigger it...but I can't get my head around
that it doesn't...so if I can spare them that, I will.  Probably self
indulgent on my part, but after losing a youngster to it, I'm terrified to go
through
it again.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 1/19/2009 6:15:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rockannand@xxxxxxx writes:

But, the  pain I saw in his eyes as he fought his way
through recovery had me realize  I'd made a selfish mistake.  I should have
let him go... it was a  stupid, stupid thing I did.... just for me.

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)