[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: TOO MUCH EXCITEMENT

  • From: TRennie100@xxxxxxx
  • To: TISHW@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 20:28:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2008 12:00:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
TISHW@xxxxxxx writes:

Bob  and Tish had way too much excitement last night.  Bob was in his   study
upstairs and I was watching TV in the bedroom and thinking about  bringing
the
dogs in and going to bed.  It was about 10:45  PM.  All of a sudden  the
smoke
detector started screeching  louder than I have ever heard one  before.  So I
got up and went  to the hall - it was filling rapidly with  smoke.  Got to
the
kitchen doorway and the dishwasher was ON FIRE with  flames coming  out the
bottom.  Panic time!!  Bob came charging   downstairs telling me not to call
911
right then as he was going to  go  throw the circuit breaker.  Several
minutes
later he has  managed to do that  - dishwasher still flaming, Tish still
panicking,  and he wants the fire  extinguisher.  I give him the fire
extinguisher,
grab my purse and my  trusty little cell phone and go  out the front door and
call
911.  They  answer and I tell them  the problem.  They tell me to get out of
the  house.  So  figuring I needed to do something about the dogs on the
deck, I
down   into the lower part of the yard.  Meantime Bob has extinguished the
fire.

Smoke is pouring everywhere.  The first fire truck shows up  about 11  and
Bob
comes flying out of the house to prevent them from  getting out the water
hose (good move - don't want water damage in  addition to the smoke).
Firemen in
and out of house.   They set up a large powerful fan to start  blowing the
smoke  out.  10 minutes later the second fire truck  appears.  And a  little
bit
later the Rescue people come to make sure the  inhabitants  don't need first
aid.
The neighbors must have been wondering  what in  the world was going on.

It was about 12:30 when they all left.   They took the dishwasher and  put it
out front.  We then had to  mop the floor because of all the gook on  it.  I
didn't dare  allow the dogs to walk through it and get it on their  feet.

So, for two old people, that was quite an exciting event.  I  learned  two
major lessons to be remembered - 1.  Make sure your  smoke detector  works
and 2.
Don't run your appliances when you are  not at home  (the dishwasher was
running at the time).  Had we  not been here when  that happened it would
have been a
real  catastrophe.  Also - this  dishwasher evidently had a recall on it
because of this problem and we did not  know that.  That is  something one
probably
would not know unless you were  the person who  bought the unit and had it
installed.

So now we are trying to clean  up around here.  The house stinks but I  guess
it is getting  less noticeable.  There will be professional cleaners  to come

in maybe next week.  They are very busy now because of the  tornado  that
went
through Stafford last week.

On the  bright side, we are OK, the dogs are OK, and it obviously could have

been a whole lot worse.

I did go over the No. VA. specialty show  but I got there late (it started
at
11 AM) and Open bitches were in  the ring when I got there a little before
noon.  Got to see the  Breaults, Dania, Laura Gilbert, Bob Eaton and a few
others but  basically there were not many people there.  The entry was very
small.

Tish

I guess this means that none of us can come for a visit and/or stay in the
near future, Tish????!!!!   (LOL)

Here is hoping that all gets back to normal soon in your household! Thank
you for the warning! Wow! I have never heard of a dishwasher catching on  fire!

Teona
Oasis Shepherds

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.