[ SHOWGSD-L ] TN<> MSN spreads... LEAVE A COMMENT!

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:17:06 -0700

I left a comment, will you?
Forwarded w/permission, pass it on.

Stormy Hope

California

If any of you guys would be inclined to leave a comment on this story,
  PLEASE DO! Something about how MSN has been an abysmal failure
anywhere
  it's been tried. You know the drill.

  --------

From: Carlotta Cooper <eshever@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: TN-Pet-Law@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CC: pet-law@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They've already started trying to spread MSN beyond Memphis. You can
  leave comments on this site. Please do!!!

  Carlotta

  <http://www.volunteertv.com/news/headlines/104034969.html?ref=969>

Some hope for mandatory spay neuter law in East Tenn.
  One Tennessee city is now telling pet owners, they have to spay and
  neuter their cats and dogs. The Memphis City Council approved the
  ordinance Tuesday, and some around here hope similar ordinances
  spread around East Tennessee.

  PM Sep 29, 2010
  Reporter: Heather Haley
  Email Address: heather.haley@xxxxxxxxxxx

  KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- One Tennessee city is now telling pet
  owners, they have to spay and neuter their cats and dogs.

  The Memphis City Council approved the ordinance Tuesday, and some
  around here hope similar ordinances spread around East Tennessee.

  Everyday Young-Williams Animal Shelter houses nearly 400 animals,
  hoping to find each one a home.

  Executive Director, Tim Adams said, "If you're going to try to
  control or get a handle on the over-population problem in your
  community, truly the best way to do it is through aggressive spay
  neuter."

  But last year, nearly 17,000 pets came into the shelter, "And 12,000
  and some were euthanized," added Adams.

  Memphis has the same battle with the pet population, so the City
  Council approved a mandatory spay neuter ordinance for dogs and cats.

  President of the Board for the Humane Society of the Tennessee
  Valley, Pat Hackett said, "As a tax payer, I'd like to see something
  done instead of using our taxes to euthanize these animals. As a
  Veterinarian, I'd like to see these animals not be destroyed, and as
  the president of the Humane Society, I'd like to see us come up with
  a solution."

The Memphis City Council is providing exemptions. An owner can buy a
  $200 permit to keep their pet fertile, and if an animal is registered
  with an approved organization, such as the American Kennel Club, then
  they can skip spaying or neutering. Or, if a Veterinarian says the
  surgery would harm a pet.

  Adams said, "It simply makes it a little more difficult for the back
  yard breeders, to do what they're doing. The responsible breeders,
  I'm sure if the law is passed, the only way it's passed, is if the
  responsible breeders have a way out."

Hackett said, "If it works in Memphis, it will probably spread to
  other cities."

  Adams with Young-Williams Animal Center, encourages city and county
  officials around the region to look to Memphis as an example, and
  hopes similar laws will be discussed soon, but he says there needs to
  be exemptions for the responsible breeders, for it to pass.