[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: TICK BORN ILLNESSES

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:59:45 -0800 (PST)

My girl Roxy had it a few years ago, and thankfully I had a friend who was very
experienced it due to her own dog.  I learned from my friend whose dog almost
died to her dog going into kidney failure that most vets don;t treat long
enough or strong enough dose.  Minimum six weeks, and 200 mg three times a day
(600 mg) for 2 months. She has been fine for almost 3 years, no rerpeat
symptoms.  Then you do a western blot test, and you want the reading to be
under 50 (my girl was over 300 when she was tested the first time), if over 50
then continue and you may have to treat up to 3 months.  Any dose lower/time
less you are at risk of it coming back is much higher.

Her brother also got Lymes about the same time, they only did 1 pill three
times a day (300mg) for four weeks per their vet.  He had several reoccurances
after, until his owner put him on the same dose/time table as his sister, and
no repeat after and he's been fine for almost 2 years.

Once they have Lymes, they will always have it.  And as my vet said 90% of dogs
do have Lymes, just don;t have the symptoms.

Hope this helps you

Ann Marie
www.amarigsd.com
Home of
Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
Amari's Elizabeth Taylor (Major pointed/Best in Show Bred-By winner)
Breeder/Owner of
R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA (Multiple Group Placer)
Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch pointed)
Amari's Chances Are (Ch pointed)
Amari's Ella Enchanted (Ch pointed @ 7 months/Major Reserve @ 11 months)