[ SHOWGSD-L ] THIS I KNOW FOR SURE

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:55:52 -0500

THIS I KNOW FOR SURE
                by
Barbara J. Galasso

No matter how nice a breeding looks on paper,
the results may not be what the dogs pedigrees dictate they should be.

No matter how great the two animals are that you breed together,
a champion it does not guarantee.

You can breed a decent male to a decent female,
and get a superstar offspring.

Most litters produce more pet puppies than show puppies,
and all puppies regardless of quality belong in the best homes we as
breeders can find for them.

Sometimes in this sport of dog shows,
it's not always what you know, but who you know.

No matter how long you've been in this breed,
some people never have a champion.

No matter how short of a time you've been in this breed,
some people have more champions than those who have been in it longer
and never had one.

When you show under a certain judge one day and he puts your dog up for
Winners, he's your hero,
when you show under him another time, and you're dead last, he's a bum
and a crook.

No handler was more colorful or knew how to set up a dog like LaMar,
no handler is more of a marketer than Jimmy.......both knowing how to be
at the top of their game.

Long gone are the days that we used to see 20 -25 dogs in the Open class
at a regional Specialty,
now we're lucky if you see this many in the Open class at the National
Specialty level.

Most dogs are given a call name like "Lucky", "Gin", or "Duke",
but rarely hear those names because the owners names of endearment are
used instead like, "sweetie pie", "baby cakes", or "munch berry."

The above names of endearment can be easily replaced with profanity by
the disgruntled sore sport
when his dog has just been dumped.

Dog folks can be a fickle group of people, nice to your face, and
later that same day making AT&T wealthy by tying up the telephone lines
with the latest gossip that includes your name.

Dog shows can bring out the best in the worst of people, and
can bring out the worst in the best of people.

Many long standing friendships have been lost,
because they have allowed the dogs to come between them.

Sometimes judges are chosen strictly because of their "name" and popularity,
not necessarily because they are the best judge to do the job.

No matter how long a breeder has been breeding dogs, if someone asks
what problems their lines carry,
they will tell you their lines don't carry any major faults, just maybe
a long coat here or there.

Honesty among breeders about their animals good qualities as well as the
faults of the lines,
will insure for years to come the betterment of the health of our
beloved breed.

When given a choice and asked which one would you rather keep, your
husband, wife or your dogs,
most will say their dogs.   (JUST SEEING IF YOU'RE STILL WITH ME FOLKS)!

This I know for sure:  we have the best breed in the world.  There's not
even a close second.
This I know for sure:  ALL OF THE ABOVE IS JUST MY OPINION!