[ SHOWGSD-L ] THE PEDIGREE - a question to breeders

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:21:40 -0700 (PDT)

Between the talk of picking a show prospect at 6 weeks of age and the
discussion last week about Quarter Horses, I have a question.  I am very
familiar with equine bloodlines (or was) and have fond memories, many moons and
pounds ago, of attending auctions and and horse farms looking for breeding
stock.  Great emphasis was placed on bloodlines.

  I don't find that to be as prevalent in dogs.  Yes I do understand that as
breeders we look for dogs with certain pedigrees to line breed too, but many
seem to also care about the titles (Champions & Selects) when deciding on a
stud dog or "showability" when buying a puppy.

  Are there breeders out there that will breed to or buy a dog exclusively
because of the pedigree?  Also, is it more likely that a pet dog will throw pet
qualities in it's own puppies no matter the quality of the pedigree; whereas a
horse's bloodlines may be like gold to a wise horse breeder regardless of the
quality of the animal itself.

  I currently don't own a male dog (too many intact bitches in too small an
area), but have often thought of what I would want in a "dream" pedigree for my
boy and that I might just buy a "pet" quality dog in order to get that
pedigree, harking back to my horse days when bloodlines were everything.

  Thanks in advance for any responses

   Cindy

  PS - one observation that I've made on my own is that a horse has one
offspring at a time where a dog may have many, so it's easier to get the
pedigree we want in a show quality animal.

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com