[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE MENTALLY RETARDED "BREEDING'

  • From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:50:58 EDT

Having raised an intellectually challenged stepchild from the age of 6 but
who was not handicapped physically, I understand Kathy's anger at what was
said.  But, I have found that most people speak from a lack of association with
such  individuals and not from a desire to be hurtful or cruel.
It is never, in my experience, a deliberate assault on them. It is  ignorance
of their special qualities due mainly to never having experienced  life with
someone with limitations - physical or intellectual.
Is it acceptable? No, it calls for education in a reasonable manner.

Oftentimes they actually feel the handicapped person is incapable of
understanding the prejudice against them and therefore what they say or how
they  act
about them doesn't hurt them. Unfortunately this is most times not the case.
Most handicapped children are very well aware that they are different. My
daughter was. She was functional enough to know that she was not 'normal' but
not functional enough to make good life decisions. She is not severey
handicapped, as Kathy's daughter is, but she lives a tortured life trying to
exist as
who she is in a world where she is almost normal enough to succeed but  never
quite makes it.

I doubt that Fred intended to be hurtful and many times people cannot  relate
to the fact that abnormal is not abnormal except by 'normal' criteria. My
daughter hated it when someone would talk about her or make fun of her. Just as

any of us would. She was who she was - just as they were. She was just
different  from them - no less worthy of being treated with respect and dignity
-
just  different.

That is very hard for a 'normal' person, with no interaction with a
handicapped person, to understand and handle in appropriate ways at times. I'm
sure
Fred meant no harm. I'm not defending what was said but I think everyone  needs
to calm down some.
lynda

Check out  our websites below for regular updates
Gene Workman
Lynda  Bragg-Workman
Falkrigia Shepherds
_www.falkrigiashepherds.com_ (http://www.falkrigiashepherds.com/)