[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE MENTALLY RETARDED "BREEDING'

  • From: Kate Syssoloff <rockannand@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:14:34 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

as I'd never been around disabled children and didn't know how I would re=
act
or how big a foot I might put into my mouth.  Those at Crabbet Park
Equitation Ltd, were gifted riders from all over the world.  45 of us the=
re
to compete with each other, become qualified to go to the top in the spor=
or teach and train others.  Most of us were snobs, hot heads, old money, =
new
money, fancy horses flown there......... Rich kids who loved horses but
whose humanity had class restrictions.  Crabbet geared to the rich....  B=
ut,
surprise, surprise...the rich kids were shocked to find themselves in **b=
oot
camp**.  We were worked (and to keep this dog related), like dogs!!!=20
Grooming, mucking stalls, feeding, cleaning tack, taking punishing lesson=
s,
lectures, etc.   Where a gun becomes a soldier's companion.... The broom =
and
the muck sack were mine.  I found relief and warmth in the muck heap in t=
he
middle of winter...  It steamed so much, no one could see me sitting in i=
t.=20
But, then I heard others in the steam, too.... Doing the same as me...
Trying to warm their feet and take the chill out of their bones.=0D
=0D
One quarter of our training was with the disabled ride.  The horses carri=
ed
special saddles for children with special needs and there were 2 students
working with each horse and rider.  We worked with as many as 30 children
each morning and I can tell you we did a great deal of smiling and there =
was
lots of giggling......  I Learned to love kids there.  These kids had hea=
rt,
were tough and competitive...  I never would have known this......  Crabb=
et
taught me much more than simply about riding horses, it taught me about l=
ove
=0D
=0D
I don't coach anymore (did coach for Disabled Olympics in BC about 15 yrs
ago, but gave that up when I kept referring to dogs when I was working wi=
th
horses, lol).....  I still teach kids but about our breed, The German
Shepherd Dog and welcome kids to the kennel for free training, but they
better be prepared to WORK for their skills, because honestly....they hav=
awfully big shoes to fill........  =0D
=0D
Emily Cross has her name on one of our brooms and is arriving the last we=
ek
of July for 3 wks.  We have a few more brooms available......=0D
=EF=BB=BF =0D
Kate Syssoloff - Rockannand GSD 1-604-826-9619 (BHSI, British Horse Socie=
ty
Instructor)=0D
In Beautiful British Columbia, Canada=0D
SEL INTEGRA~SEL PATENT~FV SOLEIL~BIM THE TANGO~EKO-LAN'S FORTUNE=0D
http://www.members.shaw.ca/rockannand=0D
 =0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
=20