[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE LONG COATED SHEPHERD DISQUALIFIED OR A WINNER?

  • From: DestinoGS1@xxxxxxx
  • To: stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:12:44 EDT

I finally have to add my two cents to the issue of the long coat.  My
first Champion's dam was a long coat and received her ROM from two  litters.
My
Champion always produced a couple of long coats in each of the  litters
that she had , when bred to a male that carried the recessive for the  long
coat, and she always had 11-14 puppies per litter.  That  to  me is a very
small percentage of long coats to be conceived from a  breeding.

The long coat has just one of many minor faults and the long coat gene is
very easy to control in a breeding program.  I would never "throw the baby
out with the bath water."

JMO,

Mary Gattone

"If you think  you're a person of some influence,
try ordering someone else's dog around."

In a message dated 9/12/2009 1:54:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I am new  here but wanted to add a little something to this discussion.  I
had  three long coats in my next to last litter.  One of them turned out to
be  a phenominal mover.  I had placed him in a pet home at an early  age.
He was nearby and I saw him regularly.  A friend saw the  potential in him
and bred to him.  She ended up with only one bitch from  that breeding and she
was also a coat, but the movement had been passed on to  that litter.  That
long coated girl's last litter has no coats and 5 pups  are pointed.  So as
the old saying goes....don't throw out the baby with  the bathwater!  You
never know what you'll end up with down the  road.

Linda Hendrix

St. James Shepherds and

Lin  Chi Tibetan Spaniels

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:41:25 -0400
>  From: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC:  Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE LONG COATED  SHEPHERD DISQUALIFIED OR A
WINNER?

> [...]
> taking care  of them even more interesting. You always have something
> interesting  to say. Thanks for sharing. Barbara
>
> Carolyn Martello  wrote:
> > *From:* Barbara Galasso <mailto:uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>  *To:* 'Showgsd-l'
> > <mailto:Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> *Sent:*  Thursday, September 10, 2009
> > 7:59 AM
> > *Subject:* THE  LONG COATED SHEPHERD DISQUALIFIED OR A WINNER?
> >  http://insidethegermanshepherddogsworld.blogspot.com/
> >
>  >
> > Hi Barbara;
> > Great articles on your blog. I  enjoy reading them and really
> > appreciate the way you  continue
> > to try to get a discussion about 'DOGS' started.
>  >
> > Regarding the subject about long coats I probably will be  the "odd man
> > out" on this one as they
> > are  automatically 'disqualified' by us in our breedings for keeping,
> >  or breeding. <G>
> >
> > Even though it is considered  a minor fault......we place long coat
> > puppies as nice pets as  quickly
> > as we can once they are vaccinated and clear the Vet  check.
> > Occasionally one is definitely as nice
> > as  you describe in your article......but they are placed as pets and
>  > not kept for breeding purposes.
> > We have never utilized a  long coat to try to get more coat in our
> > breedings either. It  just is not something
> > we felt we needed to do although we love a  thick lush coat as much as
> > anyone.
> > I don't  personally believe you have to breed to a coat to get a
> > lush  thick coarse correct coat......?
> >
> > Also, when we  place a long coat puppy I really work at getting them
> > in homes  in the city where they are
> > just exposed to lawns and cement.  <G>
> > We live in the Country......and in our area when the  deer migrate
> > through in the winter ticks can be a problem.
> > Also Fox Tail stickers and what I call 'Velcro' stickers are
> > a problem here and our land is not ALL immaculate
> >  lawns and the dogs are not kept in cement kennels but loose on the
>  > property much of the time. To try to deal
> > with a long coat  with any of the issues described above...from ticks
> > to stickers  in the area can be a real problem.
> > In the snow country......the  snow 'balls up' in little balls of ice
> > on their coat and won't  easilty brush off.
> > Not to mention the simple fact that the coat  is incorrect in it's
> > length.....BUT also in the texture. It is  often
> > WAY too soft to repel dirt, water, stickers, etc.
>  > I am just grateful for the loving homes that actually want a long coat

> > to place them in .....and I never worry
> > about  letting a pup go that is wonderful in bone, or gait or
> >  conformation.
> > I love it when we have dogs that do not carry the  coat factor.
> > Just another 'minor' fault to not have
> >  to be concerned with. <G>
> > My goal is always to get all the  wonderful attributes you
> > mentioned........ with a normal correct  coat. <G>

===========================================================================>
POST is Copyrighted 2009. All material remains the property of the
any kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND
of the  Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

> ALL PERSONS ARE  ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY  MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL  PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A  VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE
PROSECUTED.

> For assistance, please contact the List Management at  admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> VISIT OUR WEBSITE -  http://showgsd.org
> NATIONAL BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

Hotmail:  Powerful Free email with security by  Microsoft.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org