[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE LONG COATED SHEPHERD DISQUALIFIED OR A WINNER?

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:55:58 -0700

From: Barbara Galasso To: 'Showgsd-l' Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:59 AM
Subject: THE LONG COATED SHEPHERD DISQUALIFIED OR A WINNER?
http://insidethegermanshepherddogsworld.blogspot.com/

Hi Barbara;
Great articles on your blog.     I enjoy reading them and really appreciate the
way you continue
to try to get a discussion about 'DOGS'  started.

Regarding the subject about long coats I probably will be the "odd man out"  on
this one as they
are automatically  'disqualified'  by us in our breedings for keeping,  or
breeding.  <G>

Even though it is considered a minor fault......we place long coat puppies as
nice pets as quickly
as we can once they are vaccinated and clear the Vet check.    Occasionally one
is definitely as nice
as you describe in your article......but they are placed as pets and not kept
for breeding purposes.
We have never utilized a long coat to try to get more coat in our breedings
either.    It just is not something
we felt we needed to do although we love a thick lush coat as much as anyone.
I don't personally believe you have to breed to a coat to get a lush thick
coarse correct coat......?

Also,  when we place a long coat puppy I really work at getting them in homes
in the city where they are
just exposed to lawns and cement.   <G>
We live in the Country......and in our area when the deer migrate through in
the winter ticks can be a problem.
Also Fox Tail  stickers and what I call 'Velcro' stickers are a problem here
and our land is not ALL immaculate
lawns and the dogs are not kept in cement kennels but loose on the property
much of the time.   To try to deal
with a long coat with any of the issues described above...from ticks to
stickers in the area can be a real problem.
In the snow country......the snow 'balls up'  in little balls of ice on their
coat and won't easilty brush off.
Not to mention the simple fact that the coat is incorrect in it's
length.....BUT also in the texture.   It is often
WAY  too soft to repel dirt, water, stickers, etc.
I am just grateful for the loving homes that actually want a long coat to place
them in .....and I never worry
about letting a pup go that is wonderful in bone, or gait or conformation.
I love it when we have dogs that do not carry the coat factor.     Just another
'minor'  fault to not have
to be concerned with.   <G>
My goal is always to get all the wonderful attributes you mentioned........
with a normal correct coat.   <G>

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com