[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE LONG COATED SHEPHERD

  • From: "Carol Weale" <dankagsd01@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <kimbergsd@xxxxxxx>, <murfamx4@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 07:06:54 -0700

*** The
way I see it some unsuspecting breeder will breed to a really nice dog not
knowing about the coat factor and end up with a bunch of unwanted Coated
dogs.?*** JMO
 The long coat is a minor fault, unlike fault in gait.
There is NO way some unsuspecting breeder will breed to a really nice dog
and end up 'with a bunch of unwanted coats' if the bitch doesn't carry the
coat factor.  It takes two.

Carol
  From: Ruth Scheubler To: DaList Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 9:45 AM
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE LONG COATED SHEPHERD DISQUALIFIED OR A
WINNER?

  Good reply, Carolyn.
  I also find there is a care issue when you have a dog with a long soft
coat
our in the field. In pet homes they are fine and on very short grass sheep
arenas, but get them out in brambles or those dreadfull foxtrails or screw
weed
and you have a huge issue. And then there is the adobe clay --
  Ruth

  ________________________________
  From: Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  ?

  From: Barbara Galasso To: 'Showgsd-l' Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009
7:59
AM
  Subject: THE LONG COATED SHEPHERD DISQUALIFIED OR A WINNER?
  http://insidethegermanshepherddogsworld.blogspot.com/

  Hi Barbara;
  Great articles on your blog.     I enjoy reading them and really
appreciate
the way you continue
  to try to get a discussion about 'DOGS'  started.

  Regarding the subject about long coats I probably will be the "odd man
out"
on this one as they
  are automatically  'disqualified'  by us in our breedings for keeping,  or

breeding.  <G>

  Even though it is considered a minor fault......we place long coat puppies
as
nice pets as quickly
  as we can once they are vaccinated and clear the Vet check.
Occasionally
one is definitely as nice
  as you describe in your article......but they are placed as pets and not
kept
for breeding purposes.
  We have never utilized a long coat to try to get more coat in our
breedings
either.    It just is not something
  we felt we needed to do although we love a thick lush coat as much as
anyone.

  I don't personally believe you have to breed to a coat to get a lush thick

coarse correct coat......?

  Also,  when we place a long coat puppy I really work at getting them in
homes
in the city where they are
  just exposed to lawns and cement.   <G>
  We live in the Country......and in o
ur area when the deer migrate through in
the winter ticks can be a problem.
  Also Fox Tail  stickers and what I call 'Velcro' stickers are a problem
here
and our land is not ALL immaculate
  lawns and the dogs are not kept in cement kennels but loose on the
property
much of the time.   To try to deal
  with a long coat with any of the issues described above...from ticks to
stickers in the area can be a real problem.
  In the snow country......the snow 'balls up'  in little balls of ice on
their
coat and won't easilty brush off.
  Not to mention the simple fact that the coat is incorrect in it's
length.....BUT also in the texture.   It is often
  WAY  too soft to repel dirt, water, stickers, etc.
  I am just grateful for the loving homes that actually want a long coat to
place them in .....and I never worry
  about letting a pup go that is wonderful in bone, or gait or conformation.

  I love it when we have dogs that do not carry the coat factor.     Just
another 'minor'  fault to not have
  to be concerned with.   <G>
  My goal is always to get all the wonderful attributes you
mentioned........
with a normal correct coat.   <G>

  Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  www.Marhaven.com

kind

MANNER
ALL

NATIONAL BLOG - http://gsdnational.blogs
pot.com/

Ann
www.edangsd.com
Home of AOE Sel Ex Ch Gilley and Sel Ex Ch Maxwell, #1 dam Muggles,
Breeder-owner 0f 72 champions and 19 ROMs.
Proud receipient of Lloyd Brackett Award

kind

MANNER
ALL