[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE DECLINE OF THE CONFORMATION RING

  • From: Linda Terry <jolisgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 20:22:46 -0400

Sorry, Evan.  I don't know where they are hiding the shows that you are
going to, but I've got to agree with Helen.  When I was showing as a
newbie, the people that were friendly and welcoming were the handler and
her mentor, the friend that traveled with me to shows, and my friend's
friend (owner of her pup's sire.)  My puppy was owned by a nobody, handled
by a young relatively unknown handler, and bred by a nobody.  When he was
shown, he either won or wasn't even placed.  Four majors later, he finished
and I specialed him a little bit.  One day a woman came up to me and
demanded to look at his bite.  Her big-name handler had told her when she
mentioned wanting to breed her bitch to my dog, that he had a wry bite and
should not be used for stud.  (He had a perfect shepherd bite.)  So not
exactly a world where everyone is working at helping other exhibitors or
even wishing them well.
I remember going to the national one year and talking to you in a
hallway.  Certainly you were friendly and encouraging to the new people, so
obviously the solution to all of this is to clone you and populate the
shepherd world with Evans!!  LOL

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM, <ELG440@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a message dated 4/2/2014 10:21:58 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> helenfranklin520@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> It's no  longer "fun" for the new person.
> They rarely win, it costs money, people  are not friendly, and
> the whole experience is not a good one.  Why  return?  They
> don't.  The breeder of their "show dog" talks badly  about the
> other breeders and their dogs, rarely risks a good one on  a
> novice, and negativity abounds around the ring.
> In Schutzhund, they  welcome and make newcomers a part of
> the event.  They give all entries  ribbons and everyone is smiling.
> They offer FRIENDLY advice, they have a  beer fest and food
> and it's a party, and it's a family fun  day....enjoyable!
>

> Man, do we go to different shows.  How many people see it the way I  do, or
> the way Helen does?
>
> Helen and I have been good friends for over three years now, and we sure
> are going to different shows.
>
> I admit, I have only gone to a few Schutzhund shows, but I attend about 30
> conformation shows a year for the past 40 years or so.  I sure do see if
> differently.
>
> The conformation shows I go to are friendly, everyone spends a great deal
> of time laughing and sharing snacks. New people are welcomed, and whenever
> we  sell a puppy, we speak highly of other breeders, and their dogs. We
> refer
>  buyers to them, and they refer buyers to us.   The only negativity I  see
> is if it rains, and then we all join in complaining about the rain. After
> the shows we often get into groups of 10 or more for dinner, and always
> invite  the new people.
>
> At the last Schutzhund show I went to, I was bleeding within five  minutes.
>
>  I reached down to pet a puppy, and cut my finger on his baby tooth.  OK, I
> admit, I did it, and the puppy was just being friendly, but I was still
> injured. Actually I found the people were friendly, and welcomed Tedi and
> I to
>  the shows.
>
> Let's face it. Dog people are generally good people.  They accept new
> exhibitors, and while there always will be a few jerks in any activity, the
> attitude at the ring is not turning people away.
>
> Maybe I am going to the wrong shows. If so, I intend to continue to go to
> those shows, and have fun, welcome anyone, new or old, and always encourage
> others to do the same.
>
> Evan L. Ginsburg, (for the new people who don't know who I am).
>
> Evan

> POST is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the
> original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS
> of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author
> AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
>
> Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
> and its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
> expressed in any post.

> [...]

Linda Terry
etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPuppy?ref=shop_sugg
& Jolis Adirondack Breeze, CGC
& Jolis Adirondack Onyx Storm, RN, CGC
& the forever in my heart Jolis Meadow Zephyr, CDX, RE, CGC
& CH Snowyrivers Adirondack Joe v Jolis, HIC

http://showgsd.org/mail.html