[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE DECLINE OF THE CONFORMATION RING

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 16:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

I agree... Having to been to both the GSD Specialty Shows which usually do not
have any
outside spectators but the Schutzhund events did. This tells me
that unless you are involved in showing a dog or have friends there, etc. the
Specialty Shows
are not much fun for a outsider.

I have not heard so much negative comments at GSD Specialty Shows
about the people there but not the case with Judges and GSDs that were both
German-American lines.  However, it seems even here I see this but do
not understand it.  As if you truly love the GSD and it is a great dog for he
was bred to do this should not separate our feelings for that dog. Sometimes
what
some consider a Pet GSD has better conformation and movement than
the show dog does. The GSD Standard can be interpreted differently
by each individual of what one might see another sees a different view.
It would interesting to see at a Specialty Show a lifetime GSD Statue of the
GSDCA Breed Standard Poster to see how they match up.

Theresa

On Wed, 4/2/14, Helen Franklin <helenfranklin520@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 in one word...."FUN"...It's no longer
 "fun" for the new person.
 They rarely win, it costs money, people are not friendly,
 and
 the whole experience is not a good one.  Why
 return?  They
 don't.  The breeder of their "show dog" talks badly
 about the
 other breeders and their dogs, rarely risks a good one on a
 novice, and negativity abounds around the ring.
 In Schutzhund, they welcome and make newcomers a part of
 the event.  They give all entries ribbons and everyone
 is smiling.
 They offer FRIENDLY advice, they have a beer fest and food
 and it's a party, and it's a family fun
 day....enjoyable!  When I
 went, people talked to me and explained what was happening
 in an effort to both educate and invite me back not having a
 clue
 as to my involvement in dogs or not.  I was made to
 want to
 return.............we have a lot to learn.  If we want
 our conformation
 ring to survive and we want more than 4 dogs for a Major
 with
 only superior dogs exhibited in National competition, big
 changes
 need to be made.  It is not about "us" and our ego's,
 but about
 German Shepherd's and their future!  Helen Franklin

http://showgsd.org/mail.html