[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ] THE BOARD MEETING and you as members

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx, cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:39:04 -0400 (EDT)

I hear you Chis.

I think back to the dwindling number of dogs during the WWs.   Guardians of
the breed during those days did not look for ways to drive up  entries and
participation by dumb-ing down the standard.  Some of those  early greats
would be rolling over in their graves.

I cringe to think of what our peers in the AB works will say/think.   And
you know, they will be justified in their criticism.  I can't/won't  defend
it. I don't see other breeds (goldens, labs, rotties) selling out their
standards for entries.  And guess what???  Their entries are UP in  this
ecomomy.

So far this board has moved to allow dogs w/ DQs to be awarded our highest
performance awards (after receiving petitions, letters, phone calls etc.),
and  now a fault class...all with the excuse of entry $$$$$. Prostitutes.
Pimping the  standard. I am beyond disgusted. The job of our board is not to
make money,  it is to behave as guardians of the breed.  If the club gets
smaller, so be  it.

I probably spend 5-8 hours a week on the phone w/ prospective puppy buyers,
 referring them to our PC web site, regional clubs, BC signers etc.  I  am
constantly beating the "read our standard", "find breeders who breed TO the
standard", "there is a reason breeds have a written standard, GSDs are not
supposed to be "panda"/140 lbs./"Kings" etc. etc. etc....please go to the
library, research the breed I tell people, over and over and over and  OVER
again.

So what do we do as a club?  Reward DQs in performance and long coats  w/
their own breed class at the national.  I'm not arguing, I am just sick.  It
just defies all logic.

I agree with you about the potential success of the class BTW.  It  will be
a bust.  Who in their right mind will haul a dog any distance to  the
national, pay a handler to be dismissed in winners????

That doesn't change the fact that some are selling out the standard they
are SUPPOSED to guard for entries.

I understand one of our board members said "we are a movement breed"  on
the call.  NO we are not.  We are a utilitarian working breed, a  balanced
functional dog. Yes, we are supposed to have efficiency of  movement, but a GSD
is so much more than that!  If it's all about movement  let's just throw
out the standard w/ all of the DQs and faults listed, since  they (color,
hanging ears, docked tails, missing teeth, soft ears etc. etc.  etc.) don't
impact movement anyway.

I give up.  I really AM at the "I don't care" point.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 6/29/2012 4:29:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi Kathy

I always respect your opinion, most of the time  agree with it, this time I
have to agree to disagree.  I understand  that the coat is considered a
fault, but I do not think the board  is violating the standard by offering this
class. The  winner still has to come back in to be considered for the
points, so it  is still up to the judge to consider the fault serious enough
against the  others competing to award the points to the coat or not.

Now, I do not truly believe there will be  such an increase in breeding for
coats just because one class is offered at  the National. I seriously doubt
it will have that kind of impact. It  might encourage some of the owners
with truly nice animals to enter them, who  knows?  I truly see both sides of
this, especially the remarks about needing "fault classes" for each  fault.
 Common sense would say of course not!  How this came  all about I'm not
sure, have not discussed it with anyone, but wonder if the  SV allowing the
coats now led to this line of thinking.  That  is just a speculation though!
My guess is that more than likely  this will not be a hugely successful
program, and just go away on its  own.  I am merely saying there are bigger
issues at hand and that I would  rather have a board that is open to ideas and
progression than a closed minded  "can't do that it's never been done before"
board.

Respectfully

Chris

Chris S. (Jolley)  Kimerer
_http://www.tanbarkgsd.com/_ (http://www.tanbarkgsd.com/)

GrCh.  Tanbark's 2MuchBling Joelle Aramist OFA H/E
GrCh.  Trotwood's Emerald v Tanbark Joelle Aramist
AOE  Sel.Ex.Ch.Carousel Farms Samantha, PT, TC OFA H/E
Ch.  CaralonQED JD Drew Bleibtreu, RN OFA H/E
Ch. Cresther's Blast of Kenlyn,  HI, CDX, OFA