[ SHOWGSD-L ] TEXAS <> The Thrill is gone :-(

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 07:56:21 -0700

TX-RPOA E-News
 >From RPOA Texas Outreach and
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance
"Animal welfare, not animal 'rights'
and, yes, there is a difference."
Crossposting is encouraged.
May 13, 2011

Re: Texas "Pet Elimination Bill" HB 1451

The thrill is gone following the great turnout of 150 to 200 people
yesterday for the Public Hearing held by the Senate Committee on
Criminal
Justice regarding Texas HB 1451, the Dog And Cat Anti-Breeder Bill.
Our side did a great job testifying but apparently facts and the truth
don't

count with Committee Chairman and Bill Sponsor John Whitmire.

Senator Whitmire took a beating at the hearing and couldn't wait to
call a
hush-rush committee meeting for 12 noon today at his Senate desk with
the 24

hour posting rule suspended. He needed 4 votes and apparently got them.

RPOA has tried to obtain information all afternoon with little
success. Our
lobbyists have also been unable to find out the names of the four
senators
on the committee who voted for the bill nor can anyone get a copy of the
amendments. At some point in time, we'll have that information for you.

But for now, we're back to Square One with contacting your own
senator, tell

his office you OPPOSE HB 1451 as they keep a running tally and try to
get a
commitment as to how he/she will vote on the Senate Floor. They may be
working tomorrow. Let us know if you get a commitment to oppose the
bill.
rpoa@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rpoa%40texas.net>

Tell your senator about the unethical shenanigans suspending all rules
that
have been pulled by Rep. Senfronia Thompson and Senator John Whitmire
regarding this bill. Tell them you own pets, you have a good memory, and
you vote!

Your senator's contact information can be found by typing in your
address
at:
http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

Please thank Senator Patrick for listening to our concerns and
opposing the
bill.
Senator Dan Patrick
Phone: (512) 463-0107
Fax: (512) 463-8810
Dan.Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Dan.Patrick%40senate.state.tx.us>
Ask Senator Patrick to help us kill it in the Senate. The bill is
fundamentally flawed and cannot be fixed with amendments!