[ SHOWGSD-L ] TEMPERMENT COMMENTS

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:08:48 -0500

Since I have had at least a million episodes concerning this subject with
ALL KINDS OF CRITTERS I thought I'd comment on Barbara's post!!
Just recently I may have mentioned the varied aspects of the make up
of - well now I think of it - humans as well as the critters etc.
Yes, we ARE all created EQUAL - but each is different in their own way
of handling different situations and they are truly based on far more than
just genetics and/or environment.   We all, having lived with these great
GSDs should see the difference even in siblings and their reactions to
any given episode, whether it be good or bad at any moment.

So very important tho, I feel, is training and constant schedules for all
in an individual manner.     Oh, yes Cesar may be Ok for what he does,
BUT I do not agree with some of the things he does and/or is doing due
to the actual multiple "pack" ways since that is just normal instinct anyway.
Wow, now I am on a roll here because I'll never never forget my own dogs
and how they - plus many others - always, before eating, would turn up to
me and lick me in a thoughtful thank you way.  I'm almost crying now I'm
thinking of it.

A couple neat memories of temperment testing and the canine good
citizen test stick in my feeble brain vividly.  At one of the Nationals the
"umbrella test" - some of you may also remember this as it was so very
neat.   Ok, the handler & dog approached the subject.  As he opened
the umbrella that dog - I kid you not - totally destroyed that umbrella so
quickly and thoroughly everyone cheered etc. like at a football game &
a touchdown was made!!  Think on it, the dog didn't touch the man.
I rescued an outstanding GSD from a bad situation and somehow he
knew (I feel they all do anyway) that I was his savior from the bad stuff.
He went thru obedience etc. fine but when it came to the way you must
do it for the canine good citizen  test, (not  like the every day kind of
obedience where you are permitted to give  the down/stay and sort of
back up as you leave the dog).  In this one you just go away.  Well, there
was no way that guy would  want ME  TO EVER LEAVE HIM and he
softly followed me, failing the test.

I could go on and on about so many instances of individuals and their
reactions due to circumstances on an INDIVIDUAL way.    Norma no L