[ SHOWGSD-L ] TEMPERAMENT/LONG

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:54:17 -0600

Steve Grainger
hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

Just got home from work..so haven't read but a few posts on the thread of
temperament testing, poor execution of temperaments tests and temperament being
the least of the problems in the breed. I agree with the position that the
temperament test should be done by those that sign the contract in a uniform
fashion..actually the TT should be done in a uniform fashion period...doesn't
matter if a fut, National, or regular show. the object of the TT should be to
ferret out those animals, who under as normal a circumstance as we can
create..cannot and do not act in a manner that is acceptable to our breed. If
you question how our breed is supposed to act or react..re-read the standard..I
know of no other breed standard as clear as ours on temperament and character.
However..let's cut to the chase..there are some..and I have read their
posts..who have unsound animals..and who are constantly looking to assign blame
whenever their dogs act badly..it is always someone elses fault.....t
 he judge..the loud speaker...the judge did the tt first instead of
later..whatever..bottom line it is an excuse. Now...I will agree that we are
losing some things in the breed structurally that make our breed unique from
others namely movement..however..lest we all forget..long before we knew what
sidegait, forehand, angulation and high withered were..we fell in love with the
breed for its appearance, character and trainability...so we must never lose
site of this very important aspect of our breed. Sidegait, too is important..if
not.we could show "King" down the road..who was big an pretty.but can't
move...so here's the deal... you have to have it ALL..the best possible
temperament, structure and trainability..if not..you cheat the breed and lower
the standard bar. C. Grainger

POST is Copyrighted 2004.  All material remains the property of the Poster and
of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are
permitted without prior permission of the original poster AND of the Showgsd-l
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

For technical help and administrative matters, please contact the List
Administrators at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx