[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Suspended &....

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 18:10:00 -0800

I guess today is just my day to be controversial........<G>  ( I do know pacing
when I see it!!  )
<G>
We had a GSD that had more suspension than any GSD I have seen.......but when
she gaited
she went NOWHERE.     It took her forever to get from point A   to  point B.
 She suspended
( visitors always asked why she looked "floaty" )  but she had no forward
thrust off her rear.    All the
front extension in the world no matter how high or low to the ground won't MOVE
the dog forward.  It
comes off the rear drive.
I think that is what Randy Darnell meant when he said how some just cannot gait
fast.   This bitch literally
could not......but oh how she could suspend......LITERALLY.   <G>
It is actually the ground covering gait that drives off a powerful thrust from
the rear that propels the dog
forward with suspension that we need in the GSD.     They have to cover ground
to move the sheep and
they have to be able to accelerate, slow, accelerate, stop and and turn and
move at a smooth powerful athletic
stride all day.
Other Breeds suspend in a "showy"  way.........but they don't have the leverage
from the sloping croup and
angulated rear to drive them forward in the same powerful thrust that our
German Shepherd Dogs
have.   I too have seen the suspension.......even on a Chihuahua up at an All
Breed in Portland years ago.
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com