[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Susan Butcher-Non GS

  • From: Gaitaway Shepherds Erika Brink & Kristi Jacobs <gaitawayshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

Helen-  What a nice memory and tribute to Susan Butcher.  Susan did so much for
the sport of dogs and brought the entire Iditarod race up to the calibre that
it is today.  For those of us that live in Alaska and have been here since the
inception of the last great race, we know and respect what Susan has done.
What was always amusing to us was how she inferiorated her male counterparts by
her intelligence and training techniques.  My daughter's elementary school
class followed the Iditarod the year that Libby Riddles won....each child
picked a musher and had to trace their progress.  My daughter was SOOOOOOOO
upset that another child got Susan Butcher because Susan was her idol....As it
was, that was the year that Susan's team got tangled up with a Moose and a
couple of her dogs were killed.  Susan scratched.  Libby went on to win that
race and become the first woman to win the Iditarod and she was my daughters
musher for her school project.  On the last page of her story
 about the Iditarod, my daughter, whose name is Liberty and goes by Libby
wrote..."Libby Riddles won the Iditarod this year.  Susan Butcher will be back
next year and Libby Riddles and those Moose had better watch out!"  The next
three years, Susan won the Iditarod, then she came in second and then again in
first.   So even a six year old Alaskan girl saw and felt the impact that Susan
would have on the Iditarod.  She will certainly be missed!
  Kristi Jacobs
  Erika Brink
  Gaitaway Shepherds
VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx wrote:

During my early years of judging,in the eighties,I judged in Alaska a
number of times ,both at Anchorage and Fairbanks. Anyone who has judged up
there
know that the people are very gracious & hospitable,whether they are All
breed KC members or our GSD friends. I went on my first Dog race strapped in
the sled behind 8 dogs,I flew in my first float plane ,down so low, that you
could practically touch the mass of Beluga whales,feeding, that had filled the
bay that was teaming with salmon They flew me over miles of Arctic land
seeing huge ELK and a Polar bear with cubs. I was taken to museums,and shops to
purchase mementos,which still sit on my coffee table But one of the times I
was taken out to meet Susan Butcher,a legend in her time ,not only being a
woman,but for winning the Iditarod races at least three times. Her place was
astounding,with it's miles of training trails for getting the dogs in shape.
Her feeding of the dogs was different than I was accustomed to,in my
kennel,back home in St. Paul that housed 20 dogs. I had lots of questions. She
was a
most intelligent,very intriguing person to talk with. I enjoyed my visit very
much,and over the years we kept in touch & exchanged Xmas cards. But I
hadn't heard from her for the past two years,and learned today that she had
just
died of Leukemia at age 51 .She had broken barriers and records. She will take
her place in history . Helen Miller Fisher

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original