[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sunday in Athens......

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Germanshepherds4show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (AAB GSD List), showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (AA GSD List)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:15:50 +0000

Yesterday the North Goergia Schutzhund Club [WDA club] held our BH/AD Mimi
trial.  The weather prediction was awful!  As of Sunday morning we were
expected to have thunder storms all day.  Left home in the rain at 7 AM for the
hour long drive to deliver food, equipment, and dogs to the club training site.
 We had an entry of six BH dogs and five AD dogs.
Now, for those of you who don't do schutzhund just imagine a novice heeling
pattern with a walking sit, walking down, and a 15 minute down stay combined
with a Temperamnet Test [te PC kind] and you will have a rough idea of te BH
test.  No protection work and no gun test.  The BH is required in Germany for
ANY performance event including Agility.   The AD is a 20 KM endurance test.
Riders on bicycles ride at 7-8 MPH while the dogs trot along side. [Talk about
proving your dogs can herd all day......lol]

Anyway,  I took Helios and Gilli and entered them both in the AD.  Helios
needed it as his final requirement for his Breed Survey and just threw Gilli in
on a lark s she is my herding dog in training.  Helios has his advanced IPO
titles and Gilli hasn't decided she wants to heel yet, although does everything
else.  So..........

Mother Nature obliged for our event!!  Just as the BH dogs went on to the
field, in pairs, to complete the test the rain stopped.  We completed all six
tests and through the TT part of the BH without a drop.  When we broke for
lunch, everyone under the tents eating and chatting, the rain came in
torrents!!!  It ended just as we finished clearing up after lunch!

Off to the local park to complete the AD..... it sprinkled all the way.  When
the bikes came off racks and out of pickup beds the rain stopped giving us a
cool afternoon for the dogs and riders.  Away they went to lap the track for 20
kilometers [about 12 miles].  Gilli was the standout with the flowing sidegait
she inherited from her dad, Yancy.  She was easy to spot moving around the mile
long loop and I received several complements on her movement, which was
obviously more extended than the imports taking part!  She made it between 8
and 9 miles before scuffing her back pad and had to be excused until next time.
 BUMMER!  She wasn't even tired but wasn't the first one out so we did OK!

Helios kept going until the end with the only other dog to qualify - Aceof Nike
van het Bleekhof - the dog who won the obedience portion of the World trial a
couple of years ago and brought home the World Cup to the GSDCA!

So... Helios is now officially:
Helios von Hirsman IPO3, AD, 'a' normal [h&e], DNA gpr, OFA good [h&e], DNA
Watch for this guy with Team Moses in the near future!!!
--
Suzanne Kinman
www.tsalishepherds.com