[ SHOWGSD-L ] Suggest reading

  • From: Diane Brantley <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:48:37 -0700 (PDT)

I rarely see this book mentioned when we talk about GSD books.

  THE BOOK OF THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
  By Anna Katherine Nicholas.
  TFH Publications, Inc. Ltd., 1983.
  Hardcover $30.00.
  465 pages not including glossary and index.

  This book is a must read for the person that aspires to become a student of
the German Shepherd Dog. It has a wealth of photos of influential GSD
enthusiasts of the past and the present and famous GSD?s of the past. Photos of
particular interest include those of some of the grand victors and victrixes
from 1926 to 1980. There is a great picture of Ch. Hessians Baldur, ROM taken
as he is gaiting towards the camera. Baldur displays the movement the Hessian
Kennels was famous for producing. Pedigrees are also included

  The early development of the breed in Germany is covered. The interesting
part is the collection of short biographies of the influential kennels in the
United States from the 1920?s to the early 1980?s. These include, among others,
Mrs. Harley Dodge?s Giralda Farms, Lloyd Bracket?s Longworth Kennels, Art Hess?
Hessian Kennels and of course, Covy-Tucker Hill, Fran-Jo, Cobert and Lakeside.
I find it curious that Arbywood, Waldesruh and Llano Estacado Kennels were not
included. The development of the breed in Canada, England, Australia and South
America is also covered.

  The remainder of the book consists of the American and British standards and
sections on selection, care, showing, breeding and judging the GSD. There is
also a chapter on the working dog.

  This book covers the period from the introduction of the GSD into the US to
the early 1980?s. It would be a service to the fancy if someone were to
undertake updating this book to include the successful present day kennels and
updated standards, including a translation of the German standard.

  Diane

Groups are talking. We&acute;re listening. Check out the handy changes to
Yahoo! Groups.