[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Subject: first pitbulls, now sighthounds

  • From: "Rachel & Richard Anderson" <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:06:38 -0500

"From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
 Subject: first pitbulls, now sighthounds...will herding dogs be next
"If for no other reason than sheer bloody
mindedness, why not hit the link and vote FOR  Open Field COURSING!!"

Well, I'll share my reasons.
Nowadays we have dogs that are pets, that have to get along with our other
pets, as well as our neighbors' kids, cats, ferrets, bunnies, birds,
hamsters, gerbils, etc.
Exciting the prey drive fuels behavior not in the best interest of our
little children.
Plus, are the bunnies eaten for food after or just tossed? Real hunters eat
their kill.
We bought a dog 18 years ago who was "obedience" trained using baby bunnies
and kittens tucked into the breast pocket (we found this out after the
incident I am about to share) and used as a "reward" .
We knew he was hot for our house cats, but it never occurred to us something
like that "training" technique existed. One day we were driving down the
road, dog way in the back of SUV, 3 month old baby in car seat, hubby and I
in front. The baby gave a little "mew" type cry, just a little squeak and
BOOM! the dog went for him. I had to hurl myself over the baby, my husband
is in major traffic trying to hold a 100 lb. dog off of me and the baby.
That dog cost us $3700 18 years ago, but he was GONE.
We later found out this was a fairly common "attention" technique in certain
circles.
A family friend of ours brother, in Boston about 15 years ago, lost their
baby in its own crib to their 2 dogs (rottweilers) that had been trained in
similar fashion.
In our house, not even squeaky toys are allowed, if the toy sounds like a
little animal or baby.