[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Subject: I was Just Wondering

  • From: MidniteGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: ricknaudra@xxxxxxx, Tigra12@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:09:22 EST

In a message dated 3/21/2005 7:51:33 AM Alaskan Standard Time,
ricknaudra@xxxxxxx writes:
Subject: I was Just Wondering

How did all you "well seasoned"  exhibitors and breeders get started in the
sport of showing, handling, and  breeding? Did you apprentice under people?
Just somehow jump into it,  4-H?
The newbie is curious (and feeling quite discouraged at present), and  in
need
of a pick me up ^_^

- Jackie
************

I've had shepherds since I was 8 years old. My folks dabbled in  breeding and
showing, so I guess that put the idea in my head. My first  purchase once I
moved out on my own was a shepherd. He was a $25.00 backyard  breeding. I took
him to the local shows and immediately saw a difference  between the quality
dogs and mine<G>. It was the late 70's, I was young  and bugged the devil out
of the local breeders until I had my own show dog.. I  was like a sponge; would
call and talk to the big breeders about bloodlines  for hours.. First
National was 1984, St. Louis.. saw some beautiful  dogs.. I knew then I was in
it for
the long haul!!!

Brenda Banister Crago
_www.midnightsunshepherds.com_ (http://www.midnightsunshepherds.com)