[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Subject: I was Just Wondering

  • From: <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Tigra12@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:48:26 -0500

Msg: #5 in digest
From: Tigra12@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:55:40 EST
Subject: I was Just Wondering

How did all you "well seasoned" exhibitors and breeders get started in the
sport of showing, handling, and breeding? Did you apprentice under people?
Just somehow jump into it, 4-H?
The newbie is curious (and feeling quite discouraged at present), and in need
of a pick me up ^_^

- Jackie

I started off as a 4-H'er and my first dog was a GSD in 1974. She didn't have
any type of movement to speak of but... she did have a great set of ears!

   ^^

She was one of the sweetest dogs ever. Then a couple of years later my parents
bought some shepherds locally and the next thing I knew we were building a
kennel. We never had any real big winners to speak of but after a few bad
experiences with co-ownerships and bad hips Mom was bound and determined to
breed a very sound, well tempered dog that had good hips and elbows and that
was exactly what we had. I showed our dogs locally and spent just about every
Wednesday evening (45 minute trip into town) going to the park to work dogs.
Gail Sprock also came to the park. To have one of the top GSD handlers in the
country living right here in Tucson was an undeniable gift. Gail came to the
park and shared her experiences and expertise and was there supporting others.
I simply cannot say enough about Gail. Anyway, that really meant a lot to the
local kid who wanted to become a handler some day.

Rick (Arizona) Haase