[ SHOWGSD-L ] Stud support/cleanout

  • From: BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, MidniteGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:52:24 EST

In a message dated 11/10/09 10:37:45 AM, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> On a healthy stud the sperm count should be high and motile even as they
> age.

My vet, who has been involved with canine reproduction for a long time,
says one of the best ways to keep a dog's sperm motile and viable (especially a
dog who is not used frequently), is to 'clean them out manually'.   Yes
it's exactly it is what it sounds like.   I have to agree, common sense says if
they don't use it they'll end up with a lot of non-viable sperm.
'Cleaning out' replaces the old with fresh newly produced sperm.   I'm sure
some of
the guys out there would be happy to say I told you so. ;-)
Regards,
Pat