[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Stud Dog Fees

  • From: "robert dir" <dir@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "show gsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:51:32 -0500

Well Thanks Terra!
Everything Terra posted is soooo true.  So funny, maybe we have been around
to long Terra--yup--stud fee used to be thought the same as the price of a
nice puppy. Didn't mean it was a SHOW puppy but just a bright, sound,
healthy puppy that could live his/her life with a SENSIBLE family.
I have a very breeder/judge/stud dog owner friendly vet.  To-day we took one
of the BB darlin boys we are fostering for Tiff and Joanne to MY vet.  We
had a rabies shot, flotation stool examination, toe nails trimed (because I
still cannot get control of the arm)
and his heart worm med for the month at his weight.  $78--now we did have a
new vet that looks like she is 18 because Dr. Sarah and Dr. Phil were having
a day off.  No problem--she is new is doing what she is told to do.
My regulars--Sarah and Phil would never have charged me for the nails but
other than that it would have been the same.  They are great--actually sent
Brenda to the Bridge for zero $$.
The huge stud fees, I feel and have been told,  are ment to weed out those
of us that have lesser quality bitches with not real great pedigrees.  I am
not sure how I feel about this but do understand their thinking  The life of
a popular stud dog owner can be hell on wheels(to and from O'Hare twice a
week or more often if the job needs to be done--meanwhile both owners are
working full time jobs--120 one way to O'Hare).  Some of you are much closer
to the airport etc..  It really is a tuff call.
I would love to hear a followup from the owners of  current TOP stud dog
owners. My handling of a top stud dog was so long ago.  I know--yes due to
my age--I HAVE to handle it differently--and DO.
Hope we can hear from some of you folks with the big guns and how you handle
it.  It could be very educational.
Sandi