[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Stud Dog Fees

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:23:50 -0700 (PDT)

> I wonder how stud dog owners determine their dogs stud fees.  Is it on
> the titles he's earned?  Is it his pedigree?  Is it determined by his
> winning progeny?  Or maybe a combination of them all?  Is it what the
> market will bear?
> Barbara J. Galasso

Barbara...
Some years ago I got a call from a fellow that wanted to come out and talk
to me about breeding. Knowing that I had a couple of good males, one of
which was a champion, I gave him directions. I was expecting to evaluate
his bitch and see if we could help him.

I was quite surprised when he got out of his truck with a rather oversized
square male of rather dubious quality and began to talk to me about what
he would charge to breed to my bitches, .... plus a puppy back.

I was stunned and trying to think of some smart mouthed response, but
couldn't. So I just explained that he might consider an ad in the paper or
just understand that the bitch owners usually made the breeding decisions,
not the stud dog owners.

He seemed quite shocked that I was not interested.
Oh well.....

Dave