[ SHOWGSD-L ] Stud Dog Fees

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:52:27 -0400

I wonder how stud dog owners determine their dogs stud fees.  Is it on
the titles he's earned?  Is it his pedigree?  Is it determined by his
winning progeny?  Or maybe a combination of them all?  Is it what the
market will bear?

I just did some research on some stud dogs that are being presently
advertised.  Of the 31 ads that I reviewed, this is what I came up
with.  13 stud dog owners did not advertise their dogs stud fees.  In
the $400 stud fee range, one was from a Champion and the other was not.
In the $500 asking price, there were 11 stud dogs.  Six were champions,
the others were not.  There were two dogs advertised for $550, both of
them champions and one of them a Futurity Victor.  Two dogs were at stud
for $600, with one being a Sel. Ch. and the other not finished, but a
BIM winner.  Then there was one at $650 who was a champion.

What merits does a young stud dog have who is not finished with his
championship and has produced maybe one litter and the owners want a
$600 stud fee on him?  So stud dog owners, how do you determine what
price to ask for your dog's services and bitch owners, what do you think
is a reasonable price to pay for their services?  Just curious,  Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS