[ SHOWGSD-L ] Stressed sheep?

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:09:26 -0400

I do some herding with my dogs and have some herding titles on them.? I even
kept some sheep at my place for practice.? If my sheep were stressed, the sure
didn't show it very well.? They played games with the dogs.? I put them out
with the horses during the day.? When I got home from work, I took one of the
dogs out to put them back in their pen.? They knew the routine and would
normally just go in their pen.? The pen meant food so no reason NOT to go to
their pen.? Sometimes, one would decide to goof off.? She would hide behind a
tree and, of course, the others would follow.? They did ring around the tree
with the dog for a few minutes then stop to eat a weed they missed during the
day.? The dog would sneak up behind them and send them off to their pen.?

Another game was with my boy Boss.? He was a baby then and fascinated with the
sheep.? When he was out playing in the yard, he would go up to them and bark.?
They would run into their barn and he would get bored and leave.? They peeked
around the corner, waited for him?to turn away and came rushing out to the
fence.? He would stalk up to the fence and touch noses with one of the sheep.?
Then a bark and off they went to the barn again.? This could go on for an hour
or so until the sheep got bored and Boss got tired.? ?

The sheep get used to the dogs and they don't pose a threat to them in daily
life.? Green dogs are probably the most stressful to sheep.??But a trained,
seasoned dog?is only an asset and a?friend to his/her?sheep.? I miss having
sheep.?

Laura