[ SHOWGSD-L ] Strauss and the Whipper Snappers

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:39:57 EDT

Strauss is no showdog by any stretch of the imagination, but I just had to
share what happened today :D
So Strauss and I took one of our many trips to Petsmart today, and the place
was packed with people.

There was a little girl, perhaps no more than 2 years old (she was a TINY
little thing!) and she was pulling at her dad's pant leg going "Puppy! Puppy!"
...the "puppy" in question was my 91lb Shepherd, who stands 5'6" when he's up
on
his hind legs.

Now, I'm not a child lover by any stretch of the imagination, BUT, I do
encourage little kids (especially younguns like this one) not to be afraid of
big
dogs, especially breeds like ours that have a bad reputation, so I asked her
"Would you like to pet the puppy?" And she looked at her dad with this big
smile
and he said "Go on."

I put Mouse in a down and she came up to him, and she did the typical "I
wanna touch it  but don't wanna get too close!" hand sweep across his side, and
when I let him back up, he turned around and slurped her right in the face!
Well you couldn't have heard a more delighted squeal come from the little half
pint!  She was absolutely enamored!

About this time another family came about, and the mother commented on how
beautiful my dog was.  Even better than that, her children (ages 4-7) each
asked
me individually if they could pet my dog.  I happily said yes, and I thanked
the parents for teaching their children such good dog manners.  I must admit,
I was more than impressed with the fact that one child didn't ask for the
whole collective, but each asked me on their own.

Strauss was loving it.  Keeled right over on his back and put his head in a
little girl's lap ^_^   I may not like small children, but I gotta say, Strauss
sure is a great dog for kids to teach them how to behave around a dog.

S Konzert vom Drachenberg, kid tested, mother approved

 - Jackie