[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Stormy's post

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:42:40 -0500

The AKC is not going to accept that responsibility.  The AKC is passing
the buck to the breeds, breed clubs, and breeders.  In spite of claiming
to have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars educating its judges, the
AKC has actually not spent much...of course, they include the Field Reps
salaries and expense accounts in their "judges' education" budget, I've
been told, and perhaps that explains the claim of having spent so much.
    I realize that not every breeder, and not every judge, is qualified
to teach someone else about the breed.  Nevertheless, there are people
who have knowledge they can share.  Of course, there are those who have
nothing of value to impart...that is true.  All one has to do is look at
the dogs some people rave about, and that is very evident.
     Still -- if it is going to be the job of people like some on this
list to educate those who want to judge the breed, then we'd best figure
out a way to do it.
Maybe we will have to count on the intelligence of some of the wanna-be
judges to sort the wheat from the chaff...I don't see a way around it,
actually, other than that.

       I remember being at a judges' seminar for Shepherds a few years
ago...the person giving the seminar presented bad examples and
misinformation...
luckily there was someone there who had more knowledge and corrected the
errors...but who knows how many times this happened before and since?

       The point, I think, is that we aren't going to teach these people
anatomy or ring procedure...we are supposed to get them to understand
what to look for.
    If one of those things is GSD sidegait, then the person doing the
teaching had best understand it, at least enough to recognize lifting
and toe dragging and bad backs, etc., and explain why these things,
while seen frequently, are incorrect.
    If we are going to teach them about type, then the people teaching
had best know what type is, and how to explain the variations in style
we see...without making excuses for the long legged dogs whose chests
barely make it to the elbow, for example.......

       Good mentors have to be found.  In the past, most of us here
found our own.  The AKC isn't happy with this...they want to have a
bunch of people around who can mentor those who want to judge the
breed.  Not everyone who mentors has to have bred 5 Selects, or judged
the National...although that might be nice...
what is needed is people who can explain to people from other breeds why
our dogs are the way they are, why we move them so much, what exactly
we're looking for in the way of type and gait........and those who can
do that, even if they don't all agree on which is the best dog in the
ring on the day, will be the ones who will impart available knowledge.
Not the blowhards who can't judge without having read the Review, or the
"fan club" members, but people who know something and can share it
without confusing people............
    There are people who are going to be approved to judge the breed.
Shouldn't we want to help make them better?  They may never get to judge
a dog who goes on to become a Grand Victor, or even a Select, or an
ROM...but they are going to be giving points...........shouldn't we want
to help them as much as we can?
       Should that be such a hard task?
Peggy