[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sticking my neck out -wondering which way we're HEADING

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 21:27:58 -0700

Hi Barbara;
One of the first things an Artist learns or knows is that everything on ANY
body must be symetrical
and balanced to the rest of the body in a well balanced perfectly symmetrical
functioning ideal body.
i.e.
On a dog...from the side....the neck length should equal length of head from
tip of nose to behind the ears...
(  or in case of humans from chin to top of head.)
Dog....from that point at the top of the head behind the ears to the end of
neck and top of wither......from
the top of the wither to the beginning of the back....from that point to the
beginning of the croup.....from
that point to the tail set. Length of shoulder blade and upper
arm....same..upper thigh..lower thigh...
same.
( remember this when the drawings of our Illustrated Standard begin to surface.
)    Every person or
artist has a preference or  'leanings'.....and some may "prefer"  a longer dog,
 or longer neck,  or
shorter muzzle..or possibly even a shorter neck....but you must always consider
the symmetrical 'norm'
for balance and beauty of form which results in same for function.
You can see the same requirements for 'symmetrical balance'  on horses or
humans in any basic teaching
book  for art.    If one part is not symmetrical and in sync with the rest of
the body....there is likely another part
of the body that is not in balance.    The neck is of course very important as
it is at the beginning of the
symmetry........ if it is shorter than it  should be......there WILL be
compensation somewhere else.......

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com