[ SHOWGSD-L ] State Municipal Leagues

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:11:24 -0400

Ginger Cleary
He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from
opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach himself.  ~Thomas Paine
My Ebay site
<http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=ginny2003>
Rome, GA http://www.rihadin.com/

Crossposted

I sent a link to all states Municipal League of Cities
http://www.nlc.org/inside_nlc/membership/state_municipal_leagues/2203.cfm
Here is a shining example of WHY I think it is soooo important you
familiarize yourselves with your states and what your league is offering to
the communities in your state in the way of animal ordinances.
This is Illinois (below)...please take the time to read this AND the links
and research they used to come up with the recommendations they are giving
to Illinois cities...THIS IS SCARY. Iowa has been doing this since I began
fighting BSL...and they are not budging...you all may have a chance at
getting involved in yours and making changes. It is worth a try...after
seeing this I am really, truly frightened that we will NOT win this battle.

IML's Legal Department assists and provides information to municipal
governments, officials, and employees. Legal issues and concerns affecting
municipalities are addressed directly through the local attorney
representing the municipality and IML legal staff. The Legal Department's
primary responsibility is to respond to your municipal attorney. Because of
limited staff, the IML does not provide direct legal advice to anyone other
than the municipal attorney. Some of the services that the Legal Department
provides are:
Legal Q & A
Animal Control: Breed Specific Regulations
By Roger Huebner, General Counsel, IML
Jerry Zarley, Paralegal, IML

85 Illinois Municipal Review 27, No. 1 (January 2006)

http://www.iml.org/dbs/imllegal/dyncat.cfm?catid=1284