[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Standing or gaiting

  • From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>, "'showgsd'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 13:46:22 -0500

Carolyn  --  As always, I thoroughly enjoy listening to or reading what you
have to say about motion. I'm again grateful for the fact that we have so
many knowledgeable people in our breed, as has been evidenced by the
discussion of motion over the last couple of days.
     A long time ago Luke Geraghty recommended Rachel Page Elliott's little
illustrated book called Dogsteps to me, and I think that her basic tenets
about dogs in motion are still very valuable. One of the things that she
stressed that I think sometimes gets lost in these discussions is that a dog
should not be considered as a static piece of architecture when analyzing
its movement. Discussions of bone lengths and angles of assembly are
absolutely useful, but the skeletal system is inextricably tied to the
specific musculature and ligamentation of each particular dog. In other
words, if we could look at a giant x-ray of a dog's skeleton and study all
the bone lengths and angles, we still wouldn't know for certain how well or
how "correctly" that particular dog moved.
     Another idea that someone brought up again recently is the business
about a dog's tail acting like a rudder on a boat. Probably some old sailor
started that one way back when. I've had lots of dogs, but I've never had
one that used its tail like a rudder. Anyways, I just did a Google, and
Dogsteps is still easy to find.
     Thanks for sharing your expertise.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple