[ SHOWGSD-L ] Standing or gaiting

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 10:07:43 -0700 (PDT)

             It is amazing that our breed has so many really good dogs out
there.      Why ?  Because our standard is really rather vague in the areas
where       we have the most problems: the front assembly. Our standard calls
for      " the upper arm joins the shoulder blade at about a right angle".
 That's      it as far as front angulation is addressed. Most breeds in the
herding,      working, sporting group call for the same right angle; however,
it is more      detailed, described in absolute:  shoulder blade at 45% to
ground, elbow       directly below top of the wither, etc. The above
description MUST assume      a right angle.  Of course, our standard was
written decades ago when the      sport was dominated by "dog men" who
discussed and really studied the      breed so there was not the need for
explanation and detail in the standard.      We have a huge problem with
upright upper
 arms; if the upper arm is      perpendicular to the ground, there is no way a
right angle can be achieved.      ( some standards go so far as to state "upper
arm never perpendicular      to the ground ")  What does this have to do with
gaiting ?  The dog whose      upper arm is upright (or short) will lift in
front. A clever handler can cover      this by moving the dog very fast because
it is difficult to see that the foot      hits the ground under the chest
rather than out in front.  A standard quite      unlike ours is the Ibizan
hound :  upright upper arm ..... creates a slight      lift.  The effect is the
same : upright upper arm = lift.             Kathy's pet peeves are legitimate,
and  our new illustrated standard      needs to be more explicit.  Hopefully,
it will be informative to all.                               Carolyn