[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Standard change for herding/working...

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:41:52 -0400

Fine.  I have had plenty of dogs who aren't recessive for coats w/  lovely,
correct coats and who produce lovely correct coats.

OTOH I have dogs recessive for coats that produce a too silky outer-coat
when bred to another dog recessive for coats.

If I didn't ever have another long coat it wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Yes, pet people snatch them right up (and I am eternally grateful to them for
that!), but they reduce my # of puppies to consider in a litter.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 7/29/2014 9:21:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On  the other hand where would the breed be without  COATS?

Morgan  Lewis, RPh.
Member GSDCA
President Last  Hope of  Georgia 501c3
"So Much to Do, So Little Time"

On  Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:19 PM, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have NEVER and I  mean NEVER (and I had show horses, 3 day horses and
race
horses), I repeat  NEVER gotten more dirty than when taking dogs herding.
I  do  NOT want to think of what was in the muck and mire I wore home with

me!  I quickly learned to bring a cooler of cold water for me because  I
would have been too embarrassed to go through a drive through on  the way
home!

Here was the getting home ritual...get the dogs out  of the van and throw
them in the back.  Go downstairs to the  unfinished basement, throw one at
time in the grooming tub.   Back outside for the wet dogs.  CLEAN the  dog
crates in the  van.  Shower for me. Blow damp dogs dry.  Another  shower
for
me. Collapse.

I get an occasional coat.  Puppy buyers love  them.  None live  here.

Kathy, member GSDCA,  DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd  Champions

visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a  message dated 7/29/2014 7:08:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Great  Post Julie.
We've never had a dog herd sheep on nice well  groomed grass.   ALWAYS in
the dirt, muck, droppings and dry weedy  terrain...where  the sheep are.
<G>
Even with that ~ long  coats in the  snow are an absolute nightmare!!
The ice balls form on the  coat and  WILL NOT MELT, will not dry off..will
not comb out or blow   out.   The dog remains WET and COLD for a LOT longer
period  of  time than a good correct GSD normal coat that repels the
problems.   Difficult for Search and Rescue dogs in both types  of terrain.

So many think some of us are just "against  change"  when you are  against
a change like this.  Often  some never seem to consider the  real reason
for the Standard and the  restrictions it may have.
I do not see how  this  "change" in the Standard will improve the  Breed??
Coats are already  allowed to be shown and used for breeding as it  is.
But coats  actually cause the Breed to be LESS versatile for  those
looking for  a good working dog in any field.

Carolyn   marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com