[ SHOWGSD-L ] Stacking

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 17:28:30 -0400

Having owned and shown several breeds, including terriers and sporting dogs, I
found found none of them to stand square in the natural state.? I think I
understand why.? I only have 2 legs, but we are trained to stand with feet
shoulder length apart and with your gun foot behind your weak foot.? This
provides the ultimate balance while also allowing for a fast response to a bad
guy.? Not to mention protecting your gun side.? Anyway, I can see how a dog,
especially a protective dog would know this instinctively.? Maximize your
strengths.??
When my boy thinks my neighbor is home and thinks he may get a cookie from her,
he will self stack forever, waiting and watching the door.? My neighbor spoils
the dogs and they?love her.? If I could get that same stack and look in the
ring, this dog would WOW! everyone.? Maybe I should bring her to the shows,
LOL!?

I?train my dogs to walk into a stack or self stack as much as possible.? I?find
fussing with their legs does not bring out the best in them.? I also find that
stretching that rear leg out can make a dog with?a strong back, look weak.? And
a longer dog looks?terrible in that pose while they may gait and look awesome
in their natural stance.??

I?am?a nobody and who cares what I like or think is correct in presentation.? I
just know what looks right to me.??Yes, I tweak the legs, I have a couple dogs
who insist on extending the wrong leg when stacking.? I keep the hock being
perpendicular in mind, always.? Not going to change that when showing.? I have
faith that the judges know the tricks?that are used to hide faults and will see
through them.? I guess I am still naive <VBG>??