[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: St. Louis tragedy -- Temperaments--Long and Controversial

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:35:57 EST

In a message dated 1/17/2007 11:17:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Everyone  keeps offering up stories of dogs lunging or attacking or frothing
at the  mouth.....OBVIOUSLY....these dogs have bad temperaments........are
these the  only examples of dog bites we can think of?  ATTACKS are one thing,
dog  biting you because you stepped on it's foot and then looking apologetic
afterward MIGHT be quite another.....
Cindy
cinosamgsd.com

Geeze Cindy, you are a lot more forgiving than I.  I can't  Imagine owning a
dog that would bite if I stepped on it's foot.  I  step on feet and tails all
the time.  Sometimes they get out of the way and  other times (like when I'm
move. What happens when you quick a nail?  Or  when something hurts them and
you have to have a look-see (like say when Justin  ate a bunch of bees this
summer and I needed to "see")?  Or when they have  to behave for something
unpleasant that might sting?  What happens when you  are struggling to assist
with
a breech birth?  Do you excuse it if your  bitch bites?  Or do you have nylon
muzzles and help around when you  perceive they aren't going to like something?

My dogs are around small children. (Other peoples', I don't have  any.) They
get tread on, bumped into on a routine basis.  I've had  both OB and breed
judges trip and fall into a dog on the ring. What  then?

I won't feed a dog that's too dumb to distinguish a real threat (intruder)
from a perceived threat (an "ouch" from being tread on.).  That's not to  say
I'm heavy handed, in fact quite the opposite.  But I've lived with too  many
good ones to make excuses for a dog that isn't.

I can understand reading some bozo in a newspaper thinking the St. Louis  dog
might be ok to live out his life in a pen on its own.  After all, he's  some
bozo in a newspaper. What boggles my mind is perceived "dog people" on a  dog
list make excuses when it comes to temperament.

It's black and white to me.  If you step on your dog's foot, it  shouldn't
bite.  If someone else steps on your dog's foot, it shouldn't  bite.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_ (http://
www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds/)