[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: St. Louis tragedy -- Temperaments--Long and Controversial

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:26:04 EST

Great post, Betty.

We recently had a list discussion about the temperament of the dogs in the
"good old days". It was mentioned that the judge had to ask permission to
examine the dog, and that a friend dare not come up and clap the owner on  the
back in a friendly manner. I was appalled at the number of people who  wondered
why we don't have this 'wonderful' temperament in the breed these days.  The
breeders over the years have wisely tempered that temperament down, Thank  God.
Those dogs were useless, ( it does not take a constantly alert, "on  guard"
suspicious dog to protect), and they are very dangerous. Dogs that  will not
allow approach to their owners have bad temperament, in my opinion, and  their
owners do also, to allow such bull.  Syd

In a message dated 1/17/2007 10:03:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
BJBuie@xxxxxxx writes:

Aloof and watchful and situationally
appropriate is one thing.  Any  dog who thinks he has the right to bite a
human because they are too close  to their person or making them do something
they
don't want to do has no  place in the show ring or breeding program.  Masking
the symptoms by  utilizing a handler with the experience and skill to know
how
to control  and condition these dogs for the show ring or the temperament
test
does  nothing but give a false sense of security.

SYD  MAILBERG
23910 SE 276TH ST
MAPLE VALLEY, WA  98038