[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sponsors

  • From: "Margery Golant" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 22:34:55 -0400

Most applicants to the List do have sponsors.  When we post their
applications, if there are any missing, we mention it and ask for sponsors.
It is not unusual for someone  to recognize the name and to contact us and
offer to sponsor.  If that does not happen, but otherwise the person seems
to have an interest in the conformation fancy, we have several different
courses that we take.  We contact them to see if they can come up with
people they know locally who we know to be List members.  That usually does
result in sponsors being located, but if not, there have been times when I
interacted with some the new applicants to "get to know them" a little, and
then sponsored them myself, and Denise Groenwald often has done that also to
assist.  We have some excellent List members and newcomers to the
conformation fancy who have come aboard just that way, and often they have
also become GSDCA members.

It is a difficult issue - we on the List and in the GSDCA do of course want
new people, want to welcome them and to encourage them.  By the same token,
there are times, fortunately not too many, when an applicant was not
accepted or should not be accepted.

The current GSDCA rule regarding new applications is an attempt to provide
accessibility to new people, yet also does have a mechanism to deny
membership in some circumstances.  It appears from the posts that a number
of people have written to the Membership Chair to object to a recent
application.  The By-Laws then provide:  "If an objection is filed, a hold
will be placed on such person's application pending expeditious
investigation and a report will be submitted within forty-five (45) days to
the Board of Directors by the Membership Chairman, for appropriate action by
the Board."

The other alternative, as has been discussed here recently, is to require
all new GSDCA applicants to have sponsors, as we do on the List, and as used
to be done in the GSDCA.  That is certainly an option, but will definitely
make membership more difficult.  Is that a benefit of a detriment ?  Like
everything, it depends - it depends on who the applicant is.  It would
definintely have the effect of making the process of joining more
cumbersome, mght discourage some new people we really would want in the
GSDCA.  It might also keep out some we definitely do not want.  Certainly it
is one of those issues that does not have a perfect solution.  However, it
does also provide an opportunity - for dialogue, for mentoring, and for
encouragement.  I have always been pretty comfortable with the process we
use on the List - it is not foolproof (what is ?), but does give us some
information and control, and also gives the newcomer some idea what the List
(and the fancy) is about.

I suggest that we could do something similar in the GSDCA - if we were to
require sponsors, and if newcomers who knew no one came along and wanted to
apply, the Membership Committee could, as is done in some kennel clubs I
know, have members meet with them, learn about them, who they are, what
their goals are, etc., and then if all seems ok, those people could act as
their sponsors.  That also provides a logical lead-in to a mentoring
opportunity and process, which would be more useful and constructive to a
brand new member than merely joining via the web page and not necesarily
having any interaction with anyone.

Margy Golant
Recording Secretary, GSDCA