[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Spine/Disk Problem

  • From: JANGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:59:28 EST

We have a puppy that has injured his spine we believe when he was playing
with his littermate.  He is in no pain what so ever.  Just does not walk right.

I have "0" knowledge on this type of problem.  Our vet examined the puppy (5
months), found that he has some neurological problems with his hind legs.
After taking an x-ray of his spine, we found what we believe to be the problem.

There was an abnormal disc space and our vet thinks if we did an MRI that it
would show that the ligament is pinched at this point.  So he gave our puppy a
steroid shot and sent us home with Deramaxx.  We have seen no improvement so
far and I am not very happy with using Deramaxx.  Our next step will be an MRI
if he does not have any improvement by Friday.  He is on complete crate rest
(that is real fun for a puppy!!).  I was wondering if anyone had any imput on
what can be done for him, what other medications can be used.  We had soft
stools (not diarrhea) on the Deramaxx.  I have "googled" myself out on his
condition and wondered if anyone had a similar injury and what was done and
what was
the outcome.  Thanks for any information or help.

Janet

Janet
<A HREF="http://www.janmargsd.com/";>JanMar German Shepherds</A>