[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Speed Kills...

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: acara1997@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:49:32 -0800 (PST)

Randy,
Thank you for the well thought and insightful email. Utopia would be if every
judge were to prescribe to the three speed loose lead gaiting, however that it
is not the case.
 While it is clear to any person who is truly knowledgeable about the breed
and has any "smarts" that to properly evaluate the gait of the GSD the dog
should be shown at three speeds on a truly loose lead, it is discouraging to
see that while many of our judges talk a really good game of requiring a loose
lead, many are not committed enough to it, to truly require it in their ring
for a dog to be considered.

I find this especially true at many of our Nationals.

Handlers who by their definition are judged by their success in the ring often
know exactly which judges truly require a loose lead as an integral part of
evaluating the gait of the dog. Watch how the top handlers handle their dogs
under different judges and you will know exactly those judges who really are
committed to the loose lead gaiting that is emblematic and critical to the true
judgement of gait.

I know i have my list of those judges that really require it.

Bill Basu