[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Specialty/All-breed/Performance

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:09:34 -0400 (EDT)

What she said <G>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 8/22/2011 7:39:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I don't  think I have ever disagreed with you, Penny; however, I will
further your  statement that
a good dog is a good dog regardless of the ring.  I  have screamed this for
years.  The reality is
that we are an  aging"society"  How many of us can still show our own dogs
?  Some  can in
the AB ring, but precious few are able to navigate the distances and  the
speed of the specialties.
Face it, therein lies the difference.  That fact established, how many of
us can afford the very
high  handling fees of the specialties ?  In addition, if the exhibitor
does  not use one of those
anointed few, he just ain't goin' ta' win. ( with some  exceptions of those
very talented youngsters.)
Now, I believe we are seeing  the results of " a good dog is a good dog."
Just look at the  fine
dogs that are blazing a trail in the AB ring, dogs who also win the  the
specialty ring.  I feel we
owe a debt of gratitude to the owners  of Harley, Solo, Thunder, Rea,
Nutmeg, Lovey and others
who have  excelled in both rings, yet have given the AB judges an education
in what a GS  should
be. The Review..... what is the purpose of advertising ? Can  the Review
fulfill this purpose ?
Absolutely not because it is simply  "preaching to the choir".  The ads are
only of the elitist,
aimed at  the elitist, and seen by the elitist.  Why would one other than
the  elitist advertise in
The Review.  I heartily wish this were not  true, but just consider the
purpose of advertising and
think about it.
I  also would like to see the old winners' pages back rather than three or
four  month-old shows.
Am I wrong in remembering Blanche as Review editor in an  unpaid position
back when it
was an incredible magazine that took all  day to read  ?
Carolyn