[ SHOWGSD-L ] Specialty vs AB, perception

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:21:28 EDT

Hi All,

Had an interesting conversation with a puppy buyer.  She attended her first
Specialty a couple weeks ago.  This woman comes from a show background with
Shelties and Samoyed's.  She has one of my 1/2 German, 1/2 American pups.  He
is
moderate and has done well in the 2 AB shows he's been shown.  She knows all
my dogs and loves the Sire, who is more angulated than anything else I have
here.

Her observations were intereseting.  She was appalled at the "crippled" dogs
she saw at the Specialty.  She could not believe the dogs walking on their
hocks and the flapping/paddling front feet.  She commented on the handlers
stringing these dogs up or racing around the ring so this wouldn't show.  But,
outside the ring, it was very evident.  I know this was recently discussed on
the
list but it was interesting to hear her comments.

This brings to mind the comments about Judges putting these dogs up because
of the handler or politics or whatever.  If an outside person, with knowledge
of a balanced dog can see this.  Why are so many people in denial that this is
a problem?  She was totally turned off and will not attend another Specialty.

Something to get you thinking.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/