[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Speaking of male dogs/Keeping a male?

  • From: cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:43:30 -0700

 Hi Zoa, I love the males, and my first show GSD was a male, but many sage
breeders will tell you not to keep males when you are on limited space and
orfirst starting out. The bitches are much more valuable to your breeding
program. You can always buy stud service, but you can't breed a dog to his
sister. (I guess you could, I wouldn't)   If I have the opportunity to
co-owna top male and place him in a show home who has the will and the funds
to seriously campaign him, I will do that in a heartbeat. I would not place
him as a kennel dog, no way, he needs to have a good life. Seriously
campaigning a dog is quite expensive, as you know, let someone else do right
by him. :)   Also, I don't see any reason to keep a brother and a sister if
you're on limited space and resources. You will never breed him to his
sister, and if you wanted to breed him down the road, you would have access
to him anyway as co-owner. (Make sure it's in the contract) I met a woman
when I was first starting out who kept 8 puppies out of the same litter.
Right off the bat she was in a corner. She wasn't very successful in the
ringbecause none of them really turned out, and if they had, she didn't have
the funds or the time to campaign them.   MY vote is to find a superb show
home/co-ownership for Jesse, and keep Charmaine, your other little
superstar,and invest in her.   That's my 2 cents. :)
Cyndy