[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Spay or Not?

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lhavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:29:08 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/2009 2:54:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
lhavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
My  very healthy 13-yr old bitch was never spayed and now has a small egg
size growth in one of her breasts, and a jelly bean size in  another.  The
large one is not noticeably growing, but the vet and  I are afraid of it
rupturing one day.  Therefore we both agree that  it should be removed.  We
x-rayed her chest to see if she had  anything in her lungs.  They're clear!!
My
question to this  body of knowledge is, should I spay her at the same time
she has the  lumpectomy (sp)?  Remember, she's 13-yrs old, but doing  great.

Sincerely,

Had a lump removed from an older bitch and my Canadian  vet did it with a
local.  She did not want to put my girl under at 12  1/2...too many things go
wrong.  Frankly, I would only do anything  for her that is not life
threatening.  A spay at her age may be just  too much for her to handle.

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont  (recording secretary), Life member
CKC
"We find comfort among those who  agree with us - growth among those who
don't".
..Frank A  Clark