[ SHOWGSD-L ] Spay neuter contract and stud dogs

  • From: "Cynthia Gialluca" <cgialluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:42:04 -0600

I have to agree wth Grace.  I applaud the efforts she went through to pick what
she felt was the best dog for her bitch.  I too researched, but in a bit of a
different way.  I contacted a person who I feel is one of the most knowlegable
of bloodlines, and particularly the lines of my bitch,  that I know and asked
her.  I sent her my bitches pedigree, then brought my bitch to see her.  We
discussed many possibilities, and armed with her suggestions I chose to go to a
stud that was close to me, for numerous reasons, but the main one being that I
had an unproven bitch and my thoughts were that seeing as one of the strongest
suggestions was pretty much in my back yard.  No shipping costs, no surgical
implants.  I am very very pleased with what I got out of the breeding.  So
pleased in fact that I plan to repeat the breeding.
When I purchased my bitch, it was in hopes of her being a show dog, but mainly
as a foundation bitch for my kennel.  I was honest and up front about my
desires for this bitch, as I have alwys been when I aquire a dog from a
breeder.  The fact that the bitch didn't turn out to be a show bitch is fine,
my main reason for getting her was as s foundation bitch.  She has no
disqualifying faults, she just isnt show quality.

I too believe that Spay/neuter requirements be placed on animals that are not
used for show, or animals not of a quality to be bred.  Let's face it not all
dogs that are not show quality dogs are also not breeding quality.  There are
many ROM bitches that never finished for one reason or another.  I believe
Cobert's Melissa was not a show bitch (I am sure I will be corrected if I am
wrong) yet she was a quality producing bitch.

The problem here is that one can not be assured that puppies sold as pets will
not be used to produce puppies of their own.  Buyers can tell you that they
have no intention of breeding, but change their minds at a later date, fully
intend to breed no matter what lip service they feed you, or something happens
and the dog falls into less honest hands.  The ONLY way we have of discouraging
buyers from breeding is through limited registration and spay/neuter clauses in
contracts.  Even so, these clauses are difficult to enforce, and usually very
costly to enforce.  Even limited Registration can be gotten around if some of
the stories I have heard are true.  If I have a buyer who tells me that they
have no intention of breeding, yet balks at signing a contract that requires
them to spay or neuter the dog, then I have to assume that they are the, "I am
saying this, but I really mean that" kind of person, and I reserve the right to
refuse to sell to that person  Like Grace stated, until money changes hands and
the puppy goes home, contract signed and sealed, that puppy is MINE.  It is MY
decision to give on my principles, and question my own integrity.  That puppy,
and any puppy he or she ultimately produces is my responsibility.  That is not
something I look upon lightly.  If a buyer hedges on a spay/neuter clause, then
that buyer can go somewhere else.  That is how I see it.

Cindy Gialluca
Cyneca German Shepherds
http://www.gsdcofaustin.org/