[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Spare Me

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 08:35:11 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/2006 7:23:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
In my  lonely opinion, the people who have the most champions are the people
who  are the hardest working -- learning all they can, working with their
dogs
all the time, and out there showing.

Regards,
Lee  Smith

I think it's a combination of things Lee.  Good dogs, a must. Hard  work,
certainly.  Showing a dog IN SITUATIONS WHERE THEY WILL BE COMPETITVE  when
they
are ready to win, absolutely.

("Where they are competitive" seems a foreign idea to a lot of dog show
folks.  I trained race horses and every few weeks a "condition book" came  out
and
it would list the upcoming races and eligibility requirements.  You  had
Graded Stakes, Stakes, Allowance w/ conditions, maiden, maiden claiming and
claiming races w/ various dollar increments.  You could have a perfectly  nice
Allowance horse, but put him in a anything above that and he'd get beat the
length of a football field.  Dog shows always seemed similar to me.   Although
shows aren't "graded", there are shows and then there are SHOWS. There  are a
lot
of nice dogs who will finish, and then there are those that are  "stars".
It's helpful to objectively look at stock and know the difference  so that you
don't take a perfectly nice dog where the "stars" will be.   Like the
aforementioned Allowance horse, all he'll see are rear ends in front of  him!
Blaming
judging in those instances is just plain silly IMO.)

BUT it would be naive to think learning to steer clear of nonsense isn't a
factor in getting a dog done too.

The last is part of a learning curve.  Learning to separate "funny  stuff"
when it happens from grumbling of poor losers can be tricky. It's not an
excuse
for a worthy dog not finishing; they'll finish anyway.  But...learn  to "find
the right spot" and what situations to stay away from and they'll  finish
quicker.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_