[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Southern Dogs

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:40:23 EST

In a message dated 12/20/2006 9:14:09 A.M. Central Standard Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  was wondering if you people from the south could answer a few
questions for me.  Because it's very hot most of the year, how  do you
keep coats on your dogs?  How do you keep your dogs  outside during the
day?  I do love the coats us Northerns get  on our dogs here, but my
arthritic knees are not as thankful.   Best,  Barbara
All the outside kennels are partially roofed (the first 30 feet) to  give the
dogs plenty of shade
during the day, and like Amy mentioned, we have the large 4 foot  industrial
fans which keep the air moving all the time.   On  VERY hot days, we have
misters about the roof which when on, keep the roof  cool so heat does not
build
up underneath.  In some ways, hurricane  Rita was a blessing....a tree fell
across the galvanized roof and much of  it had to be replaced.  When we did, we
went to a newer product made  out of PVC plastic that is white, so it reflects
a lot of the heat and  sun.
I do have inside A/C kenneled area  and everyone is in for some  part of the
day cooling off.
To maintain coats on dogs I am showing at least once a day I mist  through
the coat to keep it hydrated.  Frequent bathing before shows  also helps
maintain a lush and healthy coat. And of course, you must be  sure they receive
good
nutrition and supplements to deal with the  extreme's of environments, not
unlike the extra's you provide in the  winter for your dogs.   Most of my dogs
can show year round because  I work at their coats.   They don't just happen.

Molly

Trillia  German Shepherds since 1974
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont,  Life member CKC
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog  biscuits in your pocket
and then give him only two of  them>>>>Phil  Pastoret