[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sorry List

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: GStiefferm@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:27:27 EST

In a message dated 2/19/05 7:24:22 AM, GStiefferm@xxxxxxx writes:

<< Listers,
             Sorry if I made anyone mad but that is how I feel. I mean it
isn't fair. I know life isn't fair. Also I know we compete against are
standard.
It's not that way all the time. Like Melissa said about the variety of breeds
in the groups. I agree!!!!!
I know everyone has their opinion and that is mine...

Elizabeth >>

No need to apologize Elizabeth, you were expressing yourself in a setting
where you are free to do so.

Frankly, I am very glad to see that you and Melissa DO post -- and I would
hope other Juniors will post too.  We need to know that you are out there and
what YOUR needs and concerns are regarding dogs and showing.  You & Melissa
both
know the battles you face trying to show GSD's in Juniors at an AB show.

We, the list, the GSD community, need to hear from you in order to help you
and encourage you and ensure that the GSD doesn't disappear from the show
world.

There's about a million teenagers who want to be professional athletes or
rock stars when they become adults.  And very few will actually do that.

However, as Junior handlers you are already both taking HUGE steps towards
careers as professional handlers.  If you choose not to pursue it somewhere
down
the line that is your choice.

Point being this: All pro sports (football, baseball, basketball, etc.) have
scouts that visit schools looking for the cream of the crop, and those
athletes get recruited.  A person might be a good athlete but they are not
going to
make any money unless they get chosen for a pro team.  As Juniors, you are way
ahead of other athletes and when you are out of Juniors you'll be pretty well
set with a nice long client list.

Growing up, every book I owned was a dog book.  The only "dog" careers I knew
about were veterinarians or circus acts with poodles.  By the time I was 10
I'd decided I didn't want to be a vet because I didn't want to put dogs to
sleep.  Never much considered the circus.

At the very first conformation show I attended, (a specialty) I couldn't
understand anything that was going on.  My impression was that Kent and Bart
sure
must love German Shepherds - as they seemed to own a whole lot of them -- they
were in virtually every class!  D'OH!!!  I never even knew there was such a
thing as a professional handler.

Whether you and Melissa (and every other junior out there) choose to stay in
dogs as a profession or not, you will ALWAYS have those skills and can use
them to earn a living even if it's a means to an end.  And I daresay it's much
more rewarding financially than "Would you like fries with that???"

Keep posting!

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds